News

Sterling man, dog escape uninjured from house fire

STERLING – A man and his dog escaped without injury early Friday morning from a fire raging within their east-side Sterling home.

Crews from the Sterling and Rock Falls Fire Departments responded around 7:45 a.m. to 2013 E. Seventh St., finding heavy fire and smoke showing from the front of the single-story home, Sterling Fire Chief Deputy Michael Dettman said.

The fire is believed to have been started by a forced-air gas furnace, Dettman said, adding that a definitive cause will be announced after an investigation by the state fire marshal.

Firefighters entered the home through its front door, settled the flames within 10 minutes and had the fire completely smothered in about an hour, Dettman said.

The owner of the home had just installed a smoke detector, which went off, waking him up, Dettman said.

"That's how he was able to escape uninjured," Dettman said. "That's what saved him."

Loading more