The Dutchtown Church (Milledgeville Church of the Brethren) is celebrating its 160th anniversary.
The origin of the Dutchtown congregation can be traced back to 1708 in Schwarzenau, Germany. Due to religious persecution that was going on in Europe at the time, small groups of people began the migration to America. By 1735, the migration was complete and the majority of the “Brethren” settled in Pennsylvania under the control of William Penn, a Quaker. They eventually started pushing farther west to the Mississippi and on to the West Coast.
Brethren from the east settled around 1842 in northern Illinois, and established the first church in this area at Arnold’s Grove, near Mount Carroll. This congregation was the parent congregation for Dutchtown, Cherry Grove and Hickory Grove.
It was in the fall of 1858 that the congregation was organized and the first Love Feast was held. Pastor Richard “Rick” Koch has pastored Dutchtown for 28 years.
A special Sunday service will be at 9:30 a.m. Sept. 9, and a hog roast – potluck meal to follow. All are welcome to attend and help the congregation celebrate. Dutchtown is located at 25257 Dutchtown Road, Milledgeville. Call the church at 815-225-7812 for more information.