SAVANNA – The newly elected Savanna City Council got to business on May 9, swearing in a new city clerk, organizing city committees, and appointing all department heads to another 4-year term.
Rhonda Weiss will be the new city clerk, sworn in by outgoing clerk Paul Hartman. Ward Four Alderman Roger Husband thanked Hartman for his long service to the city.
Public Works Superintendent John Lindeman, Police Chief Michael Moon, Fire Chief Shawn Picolotti, and Treasurer/Comptroller Sheryl Sipe were all appointed for 4 more years by Mayor Chris Lain, with council approval. Aldermen Christine Lee and Jeff Griswold voted “nay” on the issue, though Lee said her vote was not a reflection on any of their performances. She saidshe just felt a yearly appointment might be better.
Picolotti reported that a 40-hour vehicle extrication course would be offered at the fire station, at little cost to the city.
The council voted to accept a grant of $50,000 from the Illinois Housing Development Authority for the Abandoned Residential Municipal Relief Program. A list of potential properties has been composed by the Building and Public Property Committee, though the matter is complicated by the fact that some of them are occupied, according to committee member Chris James.
Lindeman told the council that even though the deadline for completion of the wastewater treatment facility and its associated work was getting tighter, work was progressing and that the foundation for the lift station behind the fire station is being poured.
Lindeman proposed purchasing planters and garbage receptacles for a 5-block area between Quincy and Washington downtown – with four planters and two receptacles per block. The council approved the Finance Committee’s recommendation to allot $30,000 for the purchases.
The council approved a license waiver request from Heartland Pet Welfare for $100. Heartland shelters and cares for dozens of homeless cats, preparing them for adoption.
Lain made new committee appointments in the wake of the changing board personnel. They are as follows:
• Finance: Christine Lee (chair), Pat Sanchez, and Chris James.
• Building and Public Property/Health and Safety: Jim Friedenbach (dhair), Roger Husband and Samantha Ritchie.
• Water/Sewer/Refuse/Streets and Alleys: Pat Sanchez (chair), Chris James and Roger Husband.
• Personnel: Chris Lee (chair), Jeff Griswold, and Sara DeSpain Purdom.
• Ordinance/Public Relations: Jeff Griswold (chair), Samantha Ritchie, and Sara DeSpain Purdom.
• Hotel/Motel: Samantha Ritchie (chair), Sara DeSpain Purdom, and Kathy Christensen.
• Contracts & Lease/Collective Bargaining: Jeff Griswold (chair), Chris James, and Jim Friedenbach.
• Tax Increment Financing: Pat Sanchez (chair), Jim Friedenbach, Bill Robinson.